What Questions are answered on this page?
Scroll down the page to get the answers
- I have a question that isn't answered on this page, who do I contact?
- What is the DBS?
- Who needs a DBS check at HRFC?
- I already have a DBS or CRB check from work can I use that?
- If I help in the Cafe do I need a DBS check?
- Is it an onerous process?
- What documents do I need to provide for a DBS check?
- Do I get my documents back the same day?
- Can I scan my ID documents and email them to the club?
- Can I give someone else my documents to be checked?
- When & where can I do my DBS checks for HRFC?
- Who does the DBS check processing?
- How does Hampstead RFC do DBS checks?
- How long are DBS checks valid for?
- Does it cost anything?
- Where can I find the full RFU guidance on this?
- I have a problem completing my DBS application online, who can help me?
- What do I do when I receive my DBS certificate?
- What if there is a problem with my DBS check?
- Who is the Junior Welfare Officer in the club?
- Where is the club's child welfare policy?Responses to additional questions asked
- All my utility bills are online, can I print them out and use them?
- Can I use an NHS letter from my GP or Hospital?
1. I have a question that isn't answered on this page, who do I contact?
2. What is the DBS?
The DBS (Disclosure & Barring Service) setup in 2012 is a government organisation to help to prevent unsuitable people from working with vulnerable groups, including children. This is done by performing a physical check on identification documents and applying online.
3. Who needs a DBS check at HRFC?
Any club volunteer undertaking 'Regulated Actiivty'. In summary this means anyone volunteering regularly in the Juniors or Minis sections. From 2019/20 season all regular Junior coaches & team managers who do not have a current DBS will be required to do a DBS check in September 2019.
RFU guidance as to who is eligible for DBS checks and flow chart. Also see the HRFC Child Welfare Policy
4. I already have a DBS or CRB check from work can I use that?
No, you will need to do a separate check from the RFU via HRFC. See RFU FAQs Q10 for further details.
5. If I help in the Cafe do I need a DBS check?
6. Is it an onerous process?
No. Not at all. It's easy and quick
Bring 3 documents to be inspected - takes about 1 minute on the day if you follow Route 1. May take a little longer to check more obscure documents.
After email received by the DBS, the person being checked just logs in, confirms entered information and consents - takes about 5-10 minutes, usually less. See full answer to question below 'How Does Hampstead RFC do DBS checks?' for more info.
7. What documents do I need to provide for a DBS check?
3 types of ID required as per the list here. Club would prefer you follow Route 1. Make sure you check the dates on the documents are current or in line with the Issue Date and Validity required.
8. Do I get my documents back the same day?
The document check process takes about 1 minute and your original documents are not retained.
9. Can I scan my ID documents and email them to the club?
All documents must be original documents and must be physically checked. Full guidelines that need to be followed for ID checking can be found here.
10. Can I give someone else my documents to be checked?
All original documents need to be checked physically and in person.
11. When & where can I do my DBS checks for HRFC?
Generally after Juniors training on a Saturday at Parliament Hill Fields or in the Cafe. Best if you let the person doing the [https://www.pitchero.com/clubs/hampsteadrfu/contact/contact-official-212522]DBS checks for the club know[/url] that you are intending to bring your ID on a particular Saturday to ensure they will be available.
12. Who does the DBS check processing?
Miriam who can be [https://www.pitchero.com/clubs/hampsteadrfu/contact/contact-official-212522]contacted here[/url]
If Miriam isn't available then John can do it AFTER training only as he will be setting up and coaching during training.
13. How does Hampstead RFC do DBS checks?
- Physical ID check performed by Club Safeguarding Officer or Club Safeguarding Assistant
- Applicant requires a valid RFU ID (on the RFU’s Game Management System GMS).
- ID details entered into RFU DBS system
- Email sent out to applicant with link to DBS system (from firstname.lastname@example.org)
- Applicant accesses their application for DBS online and
- Provides further information e.g. addresses over last 5 years, alternate names, NI number, contact number
- Applicant reads appropriate policies that apply to the application
- Applicant confirms information is correct, provides their consent with various policies and for the DBS application to proceed
- Applicant then proceeds with the application
- Applicant has opportunity to print all information provided for their records
- Once application is completed by applicant it normally takes approx. 14 days for DBS check to be completed.
- DBS cert will be posted to applicant at current address provided once complete.
14. How long are DBS checks valid for?
The RFU requires you renew your DBS check every 3 years. Your DBS validity will be on the RFU GMS (this is the most accurate data) and will also be transposed to Pitchero from the GMS.
15. Does it cost anything?
No - for unpaid volunteers.
The RFU cover the costs for DBS checks for volunteers. Any person paid by the club (excluding expenses) for services would incur a £44 fee for an application.
16. Where can I find the full RFU guidance on this?
RFU DBS Guidance
17. I have a problem completing my DBS application online, who can help me?
If you have a problem with completing your application on the rfu.disclosures.co.uk website then you need to contact the RFU for assistance. Unfortunately HRFC do not have control of that website and cannot provide any assistance.
Note, there is a charge for calling the 0871 number on this contact page, but a search on website saynoto0870.com provides an alternative landline number of 020 8892 2000, which they state is the rfu main switchboard
18. What do I do when I receive my DBS certificate?
File it away safely. There is no need to advise the club as the RFU GMS system will be updated showing how long your DBS is valid for.
19. What if there is a problem with my DBS check?
The RFU will contact the club if an issue arises during a DBS check. They will require the applicant to get in touch with them to discuss any details that arose. At no point is the club advised as to content of DBS checks, unless the applicant chooses to do so.
20. Who is the Junior Welfare Officer in the club?
Stephen Brassington, who can be contacted here. The Welfare Officer's responsibilities are laid out on our website here
21. Where is the club's child welfare policy?
On our website here
Responses to additional questions asked22. All my utility bills are online, can I print them out and use them?
Unfortunately the ID verifier can't accept items printed out from the Internet.
23. Can I use an NHS letter from my GP or Hospital?
In the checking guidelines there is an option to have a document from a 'Central or local government, government agency, or local council document giving entitlement', with examples of HMRC, Dep. of Work & Pensions etc. A GP (a business) or a Hospital(a trust) are not government agencies. There is a list of Govt. bodies and agencies. Any correspondence from them must be giving an entitlement.